Sunday, January 17, 2010

The Beer (Ad) Wars

I'm not that much of a beer drinker. My alcohol of choice is either soju or wine, and the only times I find myself craving the hops drink is during hot and humid summer nights or when I'm eating German wurst dishes.
(It's probably the fizz and not the taste that doesn't make me a fan. I'm not that fond of champagne for that same reason. I prefer my drinks without bubbles that tickle my nose.)

Since I don't drink it much I can't say a have a strict preference for one brand over another; I like to stick to standards like Guiness, Leffe, Hoegaarden, Corona depending on the mood I'm in.
As for Korean brands, there's only two worth mentioning. Like Pepsi and Coca-Cola, the two leading brands for Korean beer are Hite and Cass. And again like Pepsi and Coca-Cola, these two go full-on attack mode for their marketing campaigns, reeling in customers with big name stars to hawk their product.
Hite has been featuring boyband Big Bang (minus underage member Seungri) since last year.




Hite's rival Cass had engaged actor Lee Minho of Boys over Flowers fame with Sandara Park of girlgroup 2NE1 for their previous campaign. They have now launched a new one featuring a love triangle with singer/actress Yoon Eunhye and two members of boyband 2PM, Nickhun and Taecyeon.

(What in tarnation is Nickhun wearing? O_O)


Although I drink more Hite than I do Cass - it has a 'clearer' taste in my opinion - I think Cass has won the ad wars this time around. I keep wondering what the next TV spot will be like.

No comments: