Tuesday, December 15, 2009

National Art Center Tokyo



I make it a point to go to as many art exhibitions as possible during my stays in Tokyo, however short a stay it may be, mostly to catch the big scale ones that have little possibility to be shown here in Seoul.

Although I go to the Mori Art Museum every single time I visit (probably due to the fact that I always drop by Roppongi Hills) this was the first time I've been to the National Art Center Tokyo, which is also in Roppongi.

It was a cloudy and rainy day. The building's facade was a chocolate bar sectioned wave of steel and glass.

The sunshine would have been glorious through the window panes had it been a sunny day, I thought.

There were cafés on every floor, all with streaming light. Contrary to my previous thoughts, I wondered what would be done on hot summer days when the sun would be too harsh.

The curves of the rotond café in perfect harmony with the building's lines. (Post about the Vogue Café here.)

Art gazers taking a break at the first floor café.

Another one of my 'capture a mundane moment of everyday life' videos, the elevator ride from the museum's third floor to the first.




The exhibition was a great collection with familiar and famous works from art history, mostly portraits of the Habsburgs, along with various ornamental treasures as pottery, china, tableware, suits of armor and such.

The exhibition is now showing in Kyoto. More info at : http://www.habsburgs.jp/

No comments: